Wednesday, January 18, 2012

New News: Updates from January 2012

Recent and fun things include:

* Photos from the excellent London Artifice / ILK reading are up here.
* Some really exciting print and publishing projects are in the works for my return to Chicago this summer.
* I now have two author WorldCat library entries, which is pretty neat.
* A review of mine was published in the newest edition of Art in Print, on Richard Deacon's prints from Paragon Press.
* My 2011 poetry collection, Grow No Moss, was recently accepted into the School of the Art Institute of Chicago's Joan Flasch Artist Book Collection.
* I've been invited to be the juror for the 2012 Mid-America Print Council exhibition, to be held this spring at Spudnik Press. Quite looking forward to seeing lots of new printmedia work!


Paul Cézanne (1839-1906), Madame Cézanne with striped skirt, c.1877, oil on canvas, Museum of Fine Arts (Boston)

I've been researching a bunch for school, and after thinking so much about Picasso's 1912 use of printed paper collage last term, I've become very interested in the use of printed, painted wallpaper in early modernist painting and portraiture. I'm starting to realize just how bizarre it looks. This is especially after seeing the Cézanne et Paris exhibition at the Musée du Luxembourg (Paris) a month ago—an excellent show.

Wallpaper: it was everywhere for a long time! And now it is nowhere! I'm headed to the National Portrait Gallery and the V&A Art Library for more explorations later this week. Very exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment