Friday, October 16, 2009

My Baby Artist Brain




(From Millions of Cats by Wanda Gag)

(Cover of The Funny Thing)



(Edouard Vuillard, Intérieur à la teinture rose II, 1899)

(Edouard Vuillard, La Patisserie, 1899)







I've been thinking a lot over the past few months about images that I was exposed to as a child that surely had an effect on me as an adult and as an artist. The drawings of Edward Gorey, and this book cover of Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats, specifically, were hugely influential. Wanda Gag's illustrations for children's books like The Funny Thing and Millions of Cats have also resided inexorably in my visual database since I first saw them. Louis Slobodkin's painterly illustrations for the Eleanor Estes book The Hundred Dresses are lovely. For some reason I've been reminded of that book after looking at a beautiful series of Edouard Vuillard's 1899 Paysages et Intérieurs suite of lithographs at the Art Institute a handful of times.

The Story of Ferdinand with whimsical illustrations by Robert Lawson, Blueberries for Sal by Robert McKloskey, and any book by Maurice Sendak and Eric Carle-- all of these have drawing styles and really stunning imagery that has stuck with me as an adult. I could go on and on, and probably should just do a separate post about my favorite children's books in general.

2 comments:

  1. I'm really loving buying books for my nephew. It's great to sit and read through all of the ones I forgot about while in the bookstore.

    Clint

    ReplyDelete
  2. All those years in our family bookstore, and at home with great kids books contributed to who you are as an adult and an artist...how rewarding for me as your mother to see it in print again! xox, M.

    ReplyDelete